Ok the article headline was lame we know, but if you can forgive the headline, let’s take a moment to get serious about the benefits of consuming eggs!
We all know that eggs are among the most versatile foods we consume. They provide a range of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients while containing just 72 calories for each large egg (handy for weight loss diets!).
Eggs also boast a rich nutritional profile and low calorie count. Like other animal products, eggs contain complete protein, which means that egg protein provides all the amino acids you need to survive.
Your body also utilises these amino acids to maintain your tissues and support brain functions. Consuming eggs boosts your intake of iodine and vitamins B2, B5 and B12 when you incorporate eggs into your diet. Now that you have an idea of the nutritional value eggs can provides, here are some other health benefits the humble egg can offer you.
Top Health Benefits Of Eggs
1. Helps build your muscles. Eggs are considered an excellent food for muscle building because they are high in protein, which is regarded as the building block of muscles. Egg whites have a protein called albumin that encourages more protein absorption in your body and facilitates muscle growth.
2. Eye health protection. Eggs are a good source of lutein and zeaxanthin. Research has shown that these carotenoids are highly beneficial in preventing macular degeneration and reducing the risk of developing cataracts. The antioxidant effects of these compounds help strengthen your retinas and protect your eyes from free radical damage and the sun’s ultraviolet radiation.
3. Improves your mood. The vitamin B12 in eggs can help improve your mood and keep stress at bay. They also contain other B vitamins such as vitamin B6 and folate that promote mental health. They are also believed to help treat depression due to their high levels of the amino acids methionine and cysteine.
4. Help maintain a healthy weight. It can help maintain body weight because in addition to providing energy, eggs make you feel fuller. The protein in eggs provides sustained energy as it does not simply cause a surge in your blood sugar.
5. Enhances brain power. Being rich in omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins B12 and D, and choline, eggs are excellent for brain health. Choline is an essential nutrient that plays an important role in several metabolic pathways and acts as a neurotransmitter. It improves your memory and cognitive power.
6. Great for bone strength. As a great source of vitamin D, it can work as effectively as the sunshine in providing our body with vitamin D. This type of vitamin plays a vital role in our body’s ability to absorb calcium and our body’s bone structure.
7. Improves the strength of hair and nails. Vitamin D is also very good for the growth of nails and hair. Furthermore, the amino acids, iron and zinc found in eggs also contribute to healthy nails and hair.
8. Eggs may help reduce the risk of breast cancer. Big call to make, but there is some information around showing that women who consumed at least six eggs per week lowered their risk of breast cancer by 44 percent. We’ll put this in the “maybe category” for the health benefits of eggs, but it’s interesting to note!