Getting into weight loss programs can be very challenging, especially if your body is not used to an overall healthy lifestyle of exercise and healthy eating (it’s not easy breaking long-term habits!).
But if you want to lose love handles, you need to be willing to commit to a consistent diet and exercise routine. The best way to lose that annoying love handles is to avoid taking in excess calories and make sure that you get plenty of exercise (we’re here to help!).
What Causes Love Handles?
Love handles are often caused by stress because when you are stressed out, a stress hormone called cortisol is released. The more cortisol you produce, the greater your chances of developing love handles and other fat around the midsection.
But that’s not all. Of course, inactivity and an unhealthy diet are also common causes. Now, if you are looking for ways to lose love handles, here are some you can try today.
How To Get Rid Of Love Handles
1. Drink plenty of water. Sometimes the easiest diet changes include adding instead of taking foods away. A research has been shown that when men and women increased water intake, their sugar and fat consumption went down.
2. Cut down on carbohydrates. For those trying to lose weight, try eating every three to four hours. Instead of three large meals every day, eat 4-6 meals containing proteins, complex carbs and good fats. This will increase your metabolism and help your burn fat fast.
3. Prefer foods with nutrients. Rather than eating out and fast food, add foods with fat-burning nutrients like calcium and fibre to your plate to help reduce your calorie consumption, whilst also giving your body a boost of nutrients.
4. Do some strength training. Building lean muscle through lifting weights or doing some form of resistance training can help build valuable lean muscle. Do some form of strength training at least twice a week, preferrably a little more!
5. Get into cardio. Start slowly if you are just beginning an exercise program. Walk for 20 to 30 minutes a day and gradually build your way up to more vigorous activity. Running, jogging and biking are classic forms of cardiovascular exercise, but anything that works the heart and lungs will suffice.
6. Get enough sleep. When you don’t get enough rest, your body becomes stressed and produces hormones that make you feel hungrier, making it that much harder to lose any weight, much less belly fat.
7. Reduce sugar intake. Instead of adding that teaspoon of table sugar to your coffee in the morning, try using something calorie-free or even cutting the sweetener out completely, you’ll be surprised by how much leaner you will be feeling.
8. Consult a doctor. Since not all love handles are caused by stress and hormone imbalance in our body, there might be other factors involved. To be on the safe side, it is recommended to consult with your doctor so you know if dieting or extreme exercise is best to get rid of love handles.